How to Create a Survey
Create online surveys quickly and easily, whether you're conducting market research, monitoring employee engagement or gauging customer satisfaction.
Steps to Creating a Survey
- Create and Name your Survey
- Add Questions
- Add Pages
- Apply Logic (Optional)
- Customizing your Survey Design
- Preview and Test
- Share your Survey
1. Create a Survey
Once you log in to your account, you'll be directed to your dashboard, You will be able to create a survey from the Project Dashboard, once you’ve signed in.
- Go to your Dashboard
- Click the ‘+’ icon above your survey list
- Click the Survey button
- Name your Survey
You'll then be taken to survey builder, with a default survey template. From here you can add questions, customize settings, tailor your survey design, and add branding.
2. Adding Questions and Answers
Once you’ve created your survey in the dashboard, you'll be taken to the Survey Builder. You can add a title to your page by clicking and editing the title, which will be 'Page 1' by default.
Using the Question Prediction AI Tool
To add questions to your survey, you can enter your text into the Question Prediction AI tool:
This tool will predict the best question type for your questions based on the text you enter. If you're not happy with the type select for you, you can switch it to another type by clicking the Question Type dropdown on the right of the question:
Adding Questions Manually
Alternatively, you can manually add questions to your survey via the Form tab in the left sidebar.
Simply click '+ New question' below the page you'd like to which you'd like to add your new question to reveal the Question Library:
The click any question type in the library to add it into your survey.
Here's a list of the question types available for use in surveys:
- Multiple Choice (Single Select)
- Multiple Choice (Multi Select)
- Star Rating
- Opinion Scale
- Drop Down List
- Multi-Select Drop Down List
- Order Ranking
- Matrix Question
- Multi Factor Scale
- Multi Factor Slider
- Text Box (Single)
- Text Box (Multiple)
- Comments/ Essay Box
- Net Promoter Score
- Date Range
- Picture Choice (Single Select)
- Picture Choice (Multi Select)
- Picture Comments
You'll have access to a set of fields with custom settings to collect respondent information. Such as:
- Address Lookup (using Zipcode or Postcode - US/ UK only)
- Contact Form (Name, Email, Address)
More on Contact Details.
Content and Media
Add content other than questions into your survey to provide additional information for respondents.
List of Presentational Items.
3. Add and Manage Pages
If your survey is becoming too long to fit on a single page, you can insert additional pages to break up your project.
This will not only make it easier for you to visualize and edit your project, but also give respondents a sense of progress and achievement in completing your survey.
Pages can also be used for specific purposes; such as in creating disqualification pages or consent forms.
To create a new page:
- Open the Form tab in the left sidebar
- Click the ⋮ icon next to an existing page
- Select Add Page
- Choose to add a Question Page or an Exit Page
- Question Pages: Where all your questions and form elements are placed.
- Exit Pages: These are the final pages respondents will see before they leave your project. They can be used to thank participants, or even to direct them to a site upon completion.
4. Applying Logic
Use Logic to create custom paths for respondents moving through your survey.
There are two types of Logic you can use, Page Logic and Default Logic.
Page Logic: This allows you to customize the path respondents take through your survey based on answer choices respondents make. Some examples of using Page Logic include:
A few examples for using Logic are:
- Collect consent: Send respondents who don't give consent straight to an exit page.
- Disqualify respondents: Send respondents who don't match your target audience to an exit page.
- Personalized Question Paths: Send respondents to different survey pages based on their answers.
Default Logic: This logic determines where respondents are sent to once they click 'Next Page'. By default, respondents will be sent to the next page chronologically this Logic allows you to change that.
Note: Page logic will override Default Logic.
5. Customizing Survey Design
Before you distribute your survey, you may want to customize the visual design of your project.
To change your survey theme, simply click Theme in the left sidebar.
When customizing your theme, you can also change the color of text, backgrounds, and the question highlight bar.
Choose from a set list of fonts for your survey.
Add a Logo
You can also Insert a Logo.
6. Previewing/ Testing
Clicking 'Preview' will allow you to test your survey without the response being saved in your results.
7. Share your Survey
There are multiple distribution methods available:
- Share a link to your survey
- Target a Survey Audience (Purchasing Survey Responses)
- QR Code
- Create a Button for your Website (Pop-ups & Slideouts)
- Embed your Project on your Website inline with your content
- Email Invitations
More Guides and Tips
Below you’ll find a list of other useful articles to help you get started: