Multichoice (Single Select)
What are Multi-Choice (Single Select) questions?
This type of question allows project participants to select one answer from a list of choices.
It is possible to add as many answers as you want:
- Click the question
- Select 'Add Answer'
You can also provide an ‘Other’ answer option:
- Click your question
- Select 'other text'
Why use Multi-Choice (Single Select) questions?
You can use multiple-choice (single-select) question types in both surveys and quizzes.
In Surveys: A set of answers, where respondents can choose one.
In Quizzes: Points can be applied to all answers, but respondents can only choose one answer.
How do I create a Multi-Choice (Single Select) question?
- Open the Form tab
- Click 'New question'
- Select Multiple Choice (Single-Select)
- Enter your question
- Enter your answers in the ‘Option Text’ boxes
- Click ‘Add Answer’ to insert more answer boxes
- Click ‘Other Text’ to insert an “Other” answer option
There will be a minimum of two answer option boxes available, by default, when you insert this question type into your project.
Your answer boxes will also be displayed in columns of three, but this is changeable through the Settings option in the Question Quick Menu.
The standard number of correct answers for Multi-Choice (Single Select) questions is set to one, although you can change this by following the same instructions as above. Although you may want to use the Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) question type if you intend to include more than one correct answer.
If you are creating a quiz, the marking scheme for a question will be set to one point for ‘Matching All Correct Answers’. This can also be changed in the Question Quick Menu.
- You may want to avoid making Multi-Choice answer lists too long, as it could affect the readability of your project. In these cases, we would suggest using the Drop Down List question type as an alternative.
- Although you can allow respondents to select more than one answer, we’d recommend using the Multi-Choice (Multi-Select) question type for this.
Question Settings Bar
There is access to more question type customization settings through the ‘Settings’ button in the Question Quick Menu.
- Personal info: When enabled, the data from any question marked as PII and stored separately from response data.
- Required: Enable this feature to require respondents to answer this question before they can move to the next page or submit their response.
- "Other" text choice: Allow respondents to write a free form answer for your question.
- Numbered: This button toggles the numbering for this question.
- Randomize: Randomize the order of your answer options for this question.
- # of columns: Se the number of columns that answer choices should be displayed in.
- Min & Max Answers: Choose the minimum and maximum answer respondents need to select.
Click on an answer box to access the settings for that option. From there you can delete the answer option by clicking the X, or open a further settings menu by clicking the cog.
Then something slightly different will happen depending on whether your project is a survey or a quiz.
Quiz Answer Settings: The quiz answer settings for Multi-Choice (Single Select) questions allows you to assign points to answers. For this particular type, we would suggest assigning points to only one answer. You can also pipe text, or attach an image to an answer.
How respondents interact with Multi-Choice (Single Select) questions
Participants will see this question identically to how you customized it. They select their answer by clicking on their chosen option, which is then highlighted for future reference.
It is possible for respondents to change their answer, which can be done by clicking another answer box. If you chose to insert an ‘Other’ option, a text box will appear below it once clicked. This text box can be used to provide further information and answers, or it can be left blank for the answer to be recorded as ‘Other’.
How to analyze the Quick Report
Once your project has been launched, you will have live access to your results. Here you will find quick reports for each question.
By default, your results will appear as a Column Graph, with each answer being assigned a color within the chart. It is possible to change the chart formatting through the Question Quick Menu for this section. The other available options for this question type are Line Graph, Doughnut Chart, Radar Chart, Pie Chart.
Any responses gathered through the ‘Other’ answer option will be recorded in the ‘Other’ section of the Data Table. If text was attached to any of those answers, each response will be recorded in the ‘Text Responses’ section under the graphs.
For more detailed instructions on analyzing your report, you can visit either of these articles: